A 18-year-old man presents with a 3-day history of productive cough and dyspnoea.
Describe and interpret the following radiograph (click on images to enlarge):
- The heart size and cardiomediastinal contours are normal.
- There are multiple linear vertical lucencies within the neck and superior mediastinum bilaterally, in keeping with pneumomediastinum.
- Both lungs are clear.
- No consolidation, major collapse or pleural effusion.
- There is no pneumothorax identified.
- No acute osseous abnormality of the chest wall demonstrated.
- No free gas under the diaphragm.